Fully Guided 4 Day Hiking Tour
This hike was previously called “Cowan to Terrigal”.
Come and experience the amazing sights of the Lower Hawkesbury and Central Coast on this fantastic 4 day adventure. The hikes on this trip vary from easy to hard, and the rewards are some of the best scenery Australia has to offer.
On this trip we will hike parts of the Great North Walk, Cowan to Brooklyn and Patonga to Ettalong. We’ll have an easy day as well, joining the Riverboat Postman on his daily mail run, explore and stay on Dangar Island, and on the last day walk Bouddi National Park and some of the 5 Lands Walk.
The trip includes 3 nights accommodation, two nights on Dangar Island and one night at Ettalong, on the beach. Luggage transfer is also included, just carry your day pack. Check out the photos and the Frequently Asked Questions for all the information you need about this trip, including details about the hike ratings!
National Parks NSW Accredited
|Departure Date||Tour||Duration||Price||Spots remaining|
|Thur 10 June 2021||The BouddiHawk Walk||4 days 3 nights||Fully booked||Nil|
|Thur 26 Aug 2021||The BouddiHawk Walk||4 days 3 nights||Fully booked||Nil|
|Thur 21 Oct 2021||The BouddiHawk Walk||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||4|
|Thur 26 May 2022||The BouddiHawk Walk||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
|Thur 23 June 2022||The BouddiHawk Walk||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
|Thur 28 July 2022||The BouddiHawk Walk||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
|Thur 18 Aug 2022||The BouddiHawk Walk||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
|Thur 22 Sept 2022||The BouddiHawk Walk||4 days 3 nights||From $AU980||6 plus|
Frequently asked questions
The tour is 4 days and 3 nights. All tours start on a Thursday and end on a Sunday.
Prices (including GST):
$AU980pp (double bed two people, private),
$AU1,290pp (double bed, one person, private )
$AU300 deposit required to secure your booking. Cancellations due to Covid related travel restrictions receive 80% refund of any amounts paid.
- 3 nights luxury accommodation
- Ferry, water taxi and minibus transfers
- Riverboat Postman tour and lunch on the Hawkesbury River
- All Luggage transfers
- Public transport fares
- Most Meals
Minimum: 6 people
Maximum: 10 people
If there are less than 6 hikers booked for the trip, then the tour will not proceed, and all payments will be refunded.
DAY 1 Thursday
- Arrive Cowan Station around 8.00am.
- Timetable https://transportnsw.info/documents/timetables/93-CCN-Central-Coast-Newcastle-Line-20210228.pdf
- From Sydney arrives 7.37am. From Gosford arrives 7.54am
- Luggage in Commuter bus. Briefing and coffee.
- Walk Great North Walk section 5, Cowan to Brooklyn. Guests to bring their own lunch and snacks. 11km. 650m ascent. Rated Moderate to Hard. Arrive Brooklyn about 4pm.
- Guests pick up their luggage and then ferry to Dangar Island.
- AirBnB accommodation at Dangar Island.
- Dinner at Dangar Bowling Club.
DAY 2 Friday
- Breakfast at AirBnB or local cafe.
- Riverboat Postman tour. Lunch included
- AirBnB accommodation at Dangar Island.
- Dangar Island walk in afternoon (Optional). 4.3km easy.
- Dinner at Dangar Bowling Club.
DAY 3 Saturday
- Breakfast at AirBnB, or at cafe at Patonga
- 8.30am, water taxi to Patonga.
- Commuter bus to meet us at Patonga. Take luggage to Ettalong Mantra.
- Part of Great North Walk, Section 6, Patonga to Ettalong. 10.5km, 173m ascent, Easy to Moderate.
- Stay at Ettalong Mantra.
- Dinner at Ettalong
DAY 4 Sunday
- Breakfast at Hotel
- Commuter bus collects guests and luggage, transfers group to Putty Beach at around 8.30am
- Walk Bouddi Coastal Walk to McMaster’s Beach. 8.1km, 364m ascent, moderate to hard.
- Lunch at McMasters Beach Surf Club
- Walk 5 Lands route from McMasters Beach to Avoca Beach. 6km moderate.
- The tour ends at Avoca Surf Club at about 4pm. From there, guests can continue their stay on the Central Coast, or get a lift in the commuter bus to Gosford station or their accommodation.
Bookings can be made online or manually.
Click the ‘Book online’ button for online bookings. A deposit of $300 per person will secure your booking.
For manual bookings, please use the “contact us” page to book your spots or make enquiries. The bank details for the deposit are:
Home Comforts Hiking
Irrespective of the booking method, an tax invoice will be provided for each booking
Bookings can be made online or manually. Click the ‘Book online’ button for online bookings. The cost of the trip will be in $US. A deposit of $US300 will secure your booking. If less than 2 months before the start date of the trip, then payment in full will be required.
For manual bookings, please use the “contact us” page to book or make an enquiry. We will send you a PayPal invoice. You do not need a PayPal account to make the payment. You just need a Visa or Mastercard to make the payment. Alternatively, you can pay in $AU through a money transfer company such as OFX or your bank, if you prefer. In that case use the bank details as shown for Australian based customers.
If we cancel the tour due to NSW Government imposed Covid 19 travel restrictions, then we will refund your payments in full, or transfer your booking to a new date.
If you cancel your booking due to State Government imposed Covid 19 travel restrictions in your state, then we will refund you 80% of payments made, or transfer your booking to a new date.
For non covid cancellations, if you cancel more than 6 months prior to the trip start date we will refund 75% of your payments. There are no refunds for cancellations made by you, less than 6 months from the trip start date.
The balance is due one month prior to the trip start date.
There are no refunds, due to cancellation by you, unless you (the person cancelling) introduce a replacement hiker to replace you. If a replacement can be found by you, we will refund 90% of the total paid by you.
Overall the hike is rated moderate to hard for experienced hikers. For inexperienced and less fit hikers, it would be rated hard to very hard. There are some steep ascents on Day 1 and Day 4. This trip is only recommended for experienced hikers that are reasonably fit and injury free. Inexperienced hikers should be fit and injury free. The total distance walked over 4 days of hiking is 41km. All hiking is on established trails, but some of the surfaces are quite uneven and rocky. We will be walking at an average pace of 2.5 to 3.5km/hr. There is a rest day on day 2, with an optional easy walk and the Riverboat Postman tour on the Hawkesbury River.
Two nights accommodation are in AirBnB houses on Dangar Island. Dangar Island is situated in the Hawkesbury River and can only be accessed by Ferry. There are no cars on the island. Each couple on this trip will have their own bedroom. Singles wanting their own bedroom will be charged a supplement.
The third night’s accommodation is in a luxury hotel at or near Ettalong. Our preferred hotel is on the beach. Couples share a room and singles can choose to share or for an additional cost get their own room.
Breakfasts – there are cafes at each location for breakfast. The AirBnB may have limited breakfast facilities available, or bring your own.
Lunch – Each hiker will need to take lunch and snacks with them on Day 1 . There are no shops available on Day 1. Lunch is provided on day 2. On Day 3, bring your own or buy your lunch at a shop/cafe at Pearl Beach. On day 4 there is a nice cafe at MacMasters Beach for lunch.
Dinner – Days 1 & 2 will be at Dangar Island Bowling Club and Day 3 at Ettalong where there are a few choices.
All of our Cowan to Terrigal Hikes are supported by a vehicle and driver. The support vehicle will transfer your luggage from accommodation to accommodation, and can also take passengers (if you want a rest day). You only need to carry a day pack while hiking each day.
We must impose limits to ensure our driver is not carrying excessive weights. There is a strict limit of 2 bags per person, as per the following:
Bag 1 – small day pack to carry on the hikes, 20-35 litre size
Bag 2 – Bag/suitcase up to 15kg MAXIMUM for spare clothes, personal items and food.
No extra add ons such as handbags, pillows etc are allowed. If you want to bring these they must be placed in Bag 2.
Note there is a $55 surcharge for any excess luggage.
- Small backpack with waterproof cover
- One bag for luggage transfer
- Shirts, pants, shorts, underwear, socks
- Hiking shoes and comfy shoes/thongs/sandals for at the accommodation
- Hiking Pole(s)
- Water bottles / bladder
- Rainproof jacket
- Swimsuit and micro towel
- Money and/or Debit/Credit Card
- Passport (if applicable), Visa (if applicable), Travel Insurance docs
- Phone and/or tablet, camera and chargers
- Toiletries and medication
Cowan Railway Station at 8.00am on Day 1.
The guide and driver will be travelling to the start point from Terrigal. You can join the bus in Terrigal and leave your car at Wilson Parking, Terrigal. https://www.centralcoast.nsw.gov.au/recreation/venues-and-facilities/parking
Terrigal Beach at about 4.00pm on Day 4. Our Minibus can take you on to Terrigal or Gosford Station.